I'm Amy, a stay-at-home mom by day and a crafter by night. After a day of chasing my kids around the house, I escape to my craft room for a few hours of creating while they sleep. Thanks for joining me in my little corner of the crafting world!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Ready for Snow!

Happy November!   This month I'm spending some of my time working on winter and Valentine's cards to donate to Operation Write Home.  Today's project is a snowman card using OWH Sketch #144 and this week's Ways to Use It Challenge at Splitcoast Stampers, which challenges us to make a card using anything except Autumn colors (no red, orange or yellow). 

Here's the sketch:

And here's my card:


This card's colors are off-white, brown and blue to match the colors in the patterned paper (I could not get the colors to photograph well today without the picture becoming too dark).  To create this card, I started by embossing the front of an Ultrasmooth Vanilla card base with a snowburst embossing folder.  (Ultrasmooth Vanilla is no longer available, but it's comparable to Very Vanilla.)  I cut a strip of the patterned paper and mounted it on brown card stock.  I cut a panel of Ultrasmooth Vanilla, stamped it with my sentiment in Memento Rich Cocoa (I just love this color) and mounted it on brown card stock.  I die cut a snowflake in Ultrasmooth Vanilla and sponged it with Bordering Blue to match the blue in the patterned paper.  I added some pearls to the snowflake and attached it to the sentiment panel, then adhered the panels to the card base.  Because I'd weakened the card front with my embossing, I added a liner on the upper portion of the inside to balance the weight of the layers.  This extra blank space inside also allows the sender to write a longer message.

Now that I've finished this winter card, it's time to get outside and enjoy the unseasonably warm weather we're having this week.  Thanks for stopping by! 

Products Used:
 
Stamp: Thanks Snow Much (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa (Tsukineko); Bordering Blue (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Ultrasmooth Vanilla card stock (Stampin' Up!);
snowmen patterned paper (The Paper Studio); brown card stock (unknown)
Tools and Accessories: Big Shot (Sizzix); Snowflake #23 (Sizzix);
Textured Impressions Snowburst (Sizzix for Stampin' Up!);  Pearls (KaiserCraft)
 



5 comments:

  1. Awesome...I "heart" snow people! tfs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the accents on the snowflake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable snowflake card, Amy! Thanks for leaving a comment at my place so I could find you, too! I like what I see!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful sentiment on a really wonderful Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy, just popped over from Darnell's blog-o-sphere to say hello and welcome to blogworld ... I'm pretty new to it too ... looks as though you're enjoying whatever time you can catch to play! This is such card and such a lovely sentiment! Anita in France

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!