I'm Amy, a stay-at-home mom by day and a crafter by night. After a day of chasing my kids around the house, I escape to my craft room for a few hours of creating while they sleep. Thanks for joining me in my little corner of the crafting world!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Comfort for Kay

It's finally snowing!  We really need the moisture and it just hasn't felt much like winter this year, so the snow is pretty exciting!  School has already been canceled for tomorrow and I'm hoping my husband will work from home so we can all hunker down for a good, old-fashioned Snow Day!

Last night I received a card drive request for a sweet lady named Kay.  Kay turned 60 years old earlier this week and had been looking forward to retirement with her husband.  Sadly, Kay was diagnosed with a very rare and very aggressive cancer a couple of months ago.  Treatment has been unsuccessful and the cancer has now invaded almost every part of her body.  It appears Kay's battle will be coming to an end soon, as the doctors believe she has a month or less to live.  We've been asked to send cards to make her birthday week very special and to show her some love, comfort and encouragement in her final days.

This was a very, very hard card for me to make.  What comfort can I offer someone who is nearing the end of life, especially someone I've never met?  I turned to the greatest source of comfort I could offer: the promises of Scripture.  I hope this verse will bring comfort to her in her final days.

Here's my card:



I wanted to keep this card Clean and Simple (CAS) and make the verse the focal point.  I worked from the inside out this time, starting with the verse.  I stamped it in black ink on white card stock, then die cut it with a scalloped rectangle die.  I had a scrap of shimmery black card stock in my stash, so I die cut a larger scalloped rectangle and attached the verse to it.  I used another scrap of shimmery black to die cut my flourishes.  I found a lovely scrap of magenta-colored patterned paper in my stash, so I wrapped a piece of ribbon around it and layered it on the card front.  I adhered my sentiment panel over the ribbon, then gently slid my flourishes into place and attached them to the card.  Finally, I added a few tiny rhinestones to the flourishes for just a little bit of sparkle (this photo doesn't do the sparkly rhinestones justice).

This verse brings me comfort and hope every time I read it, and I pray that its message will help Kay, as well.  If you are so inclined, please say a prayer or send comforting thoughts out to this sweet lady and her family.

Thanks for stopping by today, and extra-special thanks to those who take the time to leave a comment!


Products Used:
Stamp: Scripture Series 3 (Our Daily Bread Designs)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko)
Paper: Jubilee Magenta Accent (K&Company); black shimmery card stock (from a scrap bag at cutcardstock.com); black card stock (unknown)
Tools and Accessories: Nestabilities Classic Scalloped Rectangles - Small and Large (Spellbinders); Scribbles Swirls Sizzlets (Sizzix); ribbon (Offray); tiny rhinestones (unknown)















12 comments:

  1. This card is beautiful. Thanks for sharing a little about Kay, so heartbreaking. I pray this card and verse will give her some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful card. I'm sure Kay will appreciate this. I pray the Bible verse will give her peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful card with such loving words, Amy. Kay's day will be brightened for it I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful CAS card! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I look forward to seeing more of your projects too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A touching card. I'm sure it will bring comfort. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, such a wonderful card for Kay. Love the colors and I think that's the perfect sentiment to use for a time like this. Thanks for leaving your sweet comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, you couldn't have made a better card, for there is no comfort outside of Jesus Christ. I am sure this will have a lasting impression on this woman and her family.
    Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy this is a gorgeous card! I just love the bible verse, with the flourishes, and scalloped labels. Better watch out - I may just case your card! Thank you so much for commenting on my cards this week- it is sooo appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amy,

    Your card is beautiful! I was so sad reading about Kay's story. Cancer has touched so many lives including my own. I know Kay will appreciate your card and I send my prayers to her and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, I know that Kay will find comfort in your card with that special verse and in your support too. What a wonderful card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hullo there Amy
    I am so glad you popped across to my blog today!! and so glad to find a fellow Christian, who is a crafter and loves to share the comfort of Scripture.

    I love this card - the simplicity of the word is lifted up byt the dies cuts and colours great work!!
    I call followers encouragers as think that is so precious so have become one of your encouragers today by joining your blog (would love you to join mine too, if you can find ht time and like what you see). love and God bless, Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just doing my Monday morning catch up, I’m so behind this week.
    It’s can’t have been easy work on a card like that Amy but I’m sure that Kay will really appreciate that so many people are thinking of her at this difficult time.
    Thanks for stopping by this week
    Happy Crafting!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!