I'm Amy, a stay-at-home mom by day and a crafter by night. After a day of chasing my kids around the house, I escape to my craft room for a few hours of creating while they sleep. Thanks for joining me in my little corner of the crafting world!

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Holly Jolly Sparkly Snowman

Whew!  It's been several days since my last post but I finally have a new card to share with you. This card was so much fun to create!  I started with an idea in my head that actually worked out on paper, which is always exciting!

For today's card I decided to CASE (Copy and Share Everything) some ideas I saw recently and use them to make an original card.  I saw a project on Splitcoast Stampers that used embossed circles for a snowman's body (see the project HERE)  and I really liked the idea of embossing a snowman.  I also saw a card that used a swirled embossing folder with glitter glue (see it HERE), and I was inspired to add Stickles to my embossing.  This week's Try a New Technique Challenge at Splitcoast Stampers asked us to make our own snowmen, so I used these ideas to create this sparkly, swirly snowman card:

I tried photographing this many times and just couldn't get a picture of the whole card that really shows the sparkle on the snowman as well as the embossing on the blue piece, so here are a couple of close-ups:




I started with a Neenah 110 lb. white card base and added a piece of wintry patterned paper to cover the card front.  I die cut 3 circles from Whisper White card stock, then embossed them with the D'Vine Swirls embossing folder.  I created a hat from black card stock and attached it to the "head" of the snowman.  I stamped my sentiment on Whisper White in Versafine Onyx Black and heat embossed it with clear embossing powder, then attached it to a piece of black card stock.  I cut a strip of blue card stock and embossed it with the Swirls, Ribbons and Snowflakes embossing folder, then cut the end to a point.

Once I had all the elements cut and stamped, I attached them to the card front.  I carefully applied Star Dust Stickles directly from the bottle to the raised embossing on the snowman.  I wanted to add some dimension to the snowflakes on my blue piece, so I added Stickles to the centers.  I quickly decided I didn't like the way that looked, so I added tiny pearls to the centers instead. 

I set the card aside to dry overnight (and somehow managed not to smear my Stickles, which was quite a feat for me!).  I had so much fun with this card that I will probably make a few more using different backgrounds, colors and embossing folders. 

I am also entering this card for the Paper Players #124 Challenge (snowman cards) and the ABC Challenge #7 (holiday cards with bling).  Thanks for stopping by today!



Products Used:
 
Stamp: Merry Merry (Recollections)
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko)
Paper: Solar White 110 lb. card stock (Neenah); Whisper White card stock (Stampin' Up!); Arctic Wishes Matstock (DCWV); black card stock, blue card stock (unknown)
Tools and Accessories: Circles #2 die (Sizzix); D'Vine Swirls embossing folder (Cuttlebug); Swirls, Ribbons and Snowflakes embossing folder (BasicGrey/Sizzix); Big Shot (Sizzix); clear embossing powder (Mrs. O'Leary's); Star Dust Stickles (Ranger); tiny pearls (Zva Creative)



12 comments:

  1. The swirly embossing is really beautiful for a snowman! And I'm impressed that your photo's show the sparkle so well, every time I try to capture it, the whole effect is lost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is so cute! I adore that sparkly snowman you made...thanks so much for joining us @ ABC Challenges!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful card! I love the sparkle on the snowman! Thanks for playing with The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute snowman! Your card turned out adorable, thanks for sharing with us at ABC Challenge Blog this week

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautifully embossed and sparkly snowman you've created! Thanks so much for joining us this week at 'ABC' Challenges. P.S. It is fun when the idea comes out in real life like you thought it would in your head :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The swirly embossing looks gorgeous Amy and I can definitely see how glittery it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, this is so cute! Love your embossed snowman! Wonderful job with your photo...I can see the sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, what a fun idea to use the swirled embossing folder to create your snowman. I had to laugh because I always seem to smear the Stickles, too. Congrats on yours staying "smear-free". Haha! Thank you so much for joining us this week at the Paper Players! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea to emboss your snowman, Amy! Thanks so much for stopping by, and for hitting Vanessa's blog too. Not sure if you noticed, but she has two other busy bags articles with another 20 ideas. I so wish I could rewind the clock 2-3 years, these would have been so fun (and easy!) to do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable, love how you made your snowman, so very creative! Great job with the bling too! Thanks for playing along this week at ABC Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project, Amy! Love all that gorgeous embossing. Thanks for playing along with The Paper Players. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really clever and super cute, Amanda! I am very impressed that you didn't smear the Stickles!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!