I'm Amy, a stay-at-home mom by day and a crafter by night. After a day of chasing my kids around the house, I escape to my craft room for a few hours of creating while they sleep. Thanks for joining me in my little corner of the crafting world!

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Twins and Teapotters

Happy New Year!  I was lucky enough to kick off 2013 with some gorgeous snow which really put me in a festive mood.  It made for a beautiful start to the New Year!

Today's card is a Teapotter's Challenge card at Splitcoast Stampers.  This week our cards are celebrating the birth of fraternal twins born to a sweet couple, Andrea and Erik.  They've been married for 19 years and have suffered through miscarriages until finally, at the age of 44, Andrea gave birth to twins.  Yay!!  Every time I hear a story like this, it makes me smile all the way from my heart.  I know quite personally how hard it is to go through a pregnancy after miscarriages, and I know the amazing joy of bringing a child safely into the world after months of waiting and worrying.  So I am thrilled to send this card to Erik and Andrea with my very best thoughts and wishes:

 
I just love this image of a mother cradling her child.  I used this image and sentiment on the cards I sent out to family and friends after my daughter was born.  The sentiment is a Christmas one (I'm sure you recognize it as a movie title), but I think it fits perfectly.  My daughter's birthday is in December (and Andrea's twins were born in December), so the sentiment suits the season well.  I feel such deep and utter contentment when holding my children and I know that really, truly, my life is wonderful and amazing and blessed, and this stamp really puts my feelings into words.  Since these babies are boy and girl twins I had to include some pink and blue on my card, which I used in the background.  I kept the baby's blanket a neutral yellow so it could symbolize either baby in her arms.  I wanted the focus to be on the image and sentiment so I kept this card free of embellishments. It is a simple card, but I hope it conveys my heartfelt joy at the birth of these beautiful, much-anticipated babies.

I started by stamping my image and sentiment on Solar White 110 lb. card stock, then used watercolor crayons and brushes lightly dipped in water to color the image.  I inked the edges of the stamped panel with Rich Cocoa and set it aside.  I used the direct-to-paper method to add blue and pink ink to another panel of Solar White card stock and adhered the stamped panel to the inked one.  I attached pink and blue patterned papers to a Solar White card base, then added a satiny white ribbon to cover the seam.  I attached the stamped piece to the card base to complete the front of the card.  I also stamped a sentiment on the inside which reads, "It's the smallest things that fill your heart."

I never get tired of making baby cards!  Since I took a short break from stamping over the holidays, this challenge gave me a happy excuse to get inky again.  Thanks for stopping by today.  I hope you have a Happy New Year!

Products Used:

Stamps: Sketches (Stampin' Up!); sentiment from Hampton Art
Stamp on Inside Panel: Smallest Things (Stampabilities)
Paper: Classic Crest Solar White 110 lb. card stock (Neenah); Clouds (Paper Pizzazz);
Baby Girl Elephant (Reminisce)
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa, Summer Sky and Angel Pink (Tsukineko)
Tools and Accessories: Watercolor crayons (Staedtler); ribbon (Offray)




5 comments:

  1. Happy new year to you too Amy and thank you for your heart warming story. It's always amazing when babies are born but to have waited for so long makes the birth even more of a miracle. I know exactly what you mean about the 'deep and utter contentment'! Enjoy your snow, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Amy, your post was so heartfelt and your card is so perfect and done with such love! I'm so happy that you got your heart's content and have a wonderful life at last and I wish the same for the new twink parents!! May all your blessings continue into the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, this is such a sweet post! My DH and I have tried for 8 years now to have children and we have been unable to. I feel so blessed to come across stories like this one that give me hope! So glad that you contacted me--I've emailed you! :) This card is just beautiful and I KNOW it will be treasured! :) HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you got a chance to play with the tea potters again, Amy! This card is so soft and sweet and I think your love and understanding shows through in this card. I love how you have used your colors to symbolize boy/girl twins. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!