I'm Amy, a stay-at-home mom by day and a crafter by night. After a day of chasing my kids around the house, I escape to my craft room for a few hours of creating while they sleep. Thanks for joining me in my little corner of the crafting world!

Monday, October 8, 2012

Autumn Leaves in Plaid

Thanks for visiting my blog on this chilly October day.  It's really starting to feel like Autumn where I live, so I've been stamping a lot of leaf and pumpkin images.  I love this time of year!

Today's card is for two challenges this week at Splitcoast Stampers.  The Clean and Simple (CAS) challenge required us to use plaid, and the Try a New Technique challenge required us to use dimension.  If you'd like to see these challenges, please click HERE and HERE.  We'd love to have you play along with us! 

Using plaid is definitely something I don't do often (even in my wardrobe), so this challenge really required me to step out of my comfort zone.  I also found it very difficult to stay in the CAS style when incorporating plaid into my design.  This card is not heavily embellished so I think it still fits the basic definition of CAS.  Adding dimension was much easier, as I used foam dimensionals and jute to elevate the sentiment. 

Here's my card:


I started by cutting my patterned paper into a panel slightly smaller than my card front.  I stamped the leaf on the patterned paper panel in Chocolate Chip.  I cut two pieces of jute and stretched them across the panel, attaching the ends of the jute to the back of my patterned paper. I attached the patterned paper panel to my Chocolate Chip card base. I stamped the sentiment in Chestnut Roan on a piece of tan card stock, then mounted it on a piece of Chocolate Chip card stock.  I added foam squares to the back of the sentiment piece and adhered it to the card over the jute. 

I really wanted to use raffia in place of the jute, but I just couldn't find raffia in the right color in my supplies.  When I first looked at this plaid paper I wasn't sure if I would like it on a card, but now I really like the masculine feeling it lends.   

(A note about my photo: I photographed this card near the sliding glass doors leading out to my deck, as I can usually get the best light there.  We have large trees in our backyard and it was a rather windy day, so I was getting all kinds of leafy shadows on my card when I tried to photograph it.  It turns out the leaves on the tree overhanging my deck are shaped almost exactly like the trees I stamped on this card, and it made for a really cool shadow effect!  I finally managed to snap a decent picture of this card in the lull between wind gusts.) 

That's all for today.  Thanks so much for stopping by! 
 
Products Used:
 
Card Base: Chocolate Chip (SU)
Patterned Paper: Brown Plaid (Recollections)
Ink: Chocolate Chip Classic (SU), Chestnut Roan Colorbox Chalk (Clearsnap)
Leaf stamp - PSX
Faith stamp - Stampabilities
Other: 3D Foam Squares (Therm-O-Web), jute

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    Your autumn card is gorgeous! I totally love the plaid background. You got me thinking now as I do have a plaid background stamp somewhere ... lol. The jute is a nice touch. Thank you for stopping to visit me and I hope you will consider becoming a follower. I'm your newest follower on GFC. Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Donna! Plaid is certainly fun to use this time of year. I have been following your blog and I really enjoy reading your posts!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!